Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Jesus cares...


It's a beautiful rainy Fall morning, my favorite kind - no wind, just gentle falling rain.  It's the kind of rain that reminds me that God sees me, loves me and covers me with His grace...wonderful life-giving, freedom-endowing grace.


I'm teaching Grown-up Girls at a friend's house on Tuesday mornings.  It's a small group of gracious empty nest women who love the Lord.  I'm used to teaching younger women, so this has been a stretch for me.  However, it has been wonderful to connect with other moms whose children have their own lives apart from us.  There is comfort in our shared heartache.

This particular friend who hosts this group is a designer and her home is gorgeous.  Every week I come home and rearrange some little knick knack.  I learn from how she uses things in unusual ways.  One of the things that got some tweaking was the new blue tray on my coffee table that I found on the bottom shelf at T.J. Maxx.  It makes it so much easier when little ones come over to pick up a tray with all the breakables and put it up where they can't get to it. 

I gathered different fall items and things that fit into the color scheme of red, orange and brown (plus the one green bird planter) and arranged them on the tray.  I messed with it all day until I liked the look of the tray from all angles.  And, yes, I know it will look differently next year...

Jesus Cares About Women

We live in a world where still many times women are overlooked.  I saw a documentary piece about a culture where women still are seen as property.  I couldn't help but wonder what Jesus would do if He encountered those same women.  We will take a look at some of the stories in the Bible about some real encounters.  I hope you will be encouraged.

The first woman I looked at was the first woman in Jesus' life - His mother, Mary.  Luke 1:26-38 is the story of Gabriel announcing the Messiah's coming to Mary, who would bear Him in her womb, then give birth to Him, raise Him and see prophecy fulfilled in His death.

God announced the most important birth in the history of the world to a young woman first.  Think about that for a moment. 

She was also at the foot of His cross as He was dying.  I'm sure her heart was tearing into pieces as she watched His agony.  I can't imagine such a horrific thing.  But, Jesus loved her, looked down in His struggle, saw her and asked John to make sure to take care of her.  (John 19:25-27)

Abba, thank You for sending Jesus to be flesh-and-blood unconditional love for women, as well as men.  Help me as I teach to sound out that message loud and clear so those women who don't know or understand Your love will be set free to receive Your love and live in Your astounding grace.  Amen


Hummus

My honey doesn't like the sound of the name of this dip.  He thinks it sounds like someone clearing their throat.  That's not very appetizing!  So we call it Red Pepper Bean Dip.  Haha!


2 cans garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
3 roasted red peppers from a jar
3 cloves garlic
juice of one lemon
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp sea salt
a few dashes of Tabasco
1/4 cup water

Put all ingredients into a food processor and process until smooth.  If you like it spicier, you can add more Tabasco or some sliced jalapenos.  Refrigerate.

This "dip" is delicious with any cut vegetables, crackers or chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment