Saturday, October 12, 2013

Pumpkins and apples...


As soon as we got back home from celebrating our youngest daughter's birthday and loving on our grandsons, I rearranged some of the Fall decorations with some new things I had purchased.  Have I told you how much I love Fall?  Ha!

Since menopause, I can't remember where I put the decorations the year before so it's like starting all over with new stuff.  Seriously...  If I didn't know how much God loves me, I'd be a little scared.  It also helps to have recently learned that it is completely normal and I can retrain my brain to begin remembering again.  Let's just say that I've gone through a LOT of sticky notes!

My favorite Fall decoration is the pumpkins stacked in the urn on top of a Walmart Fall wreath (on sale).  I purchased the faux pumpkins on sale at Hobby Lobby last year.  This year, I put the urn in my dining room.  I love the colors against the burgundy of the walls.

More Fall decorations next week...


Adjustments

Since eighth grade, I have wanted to be a published author.  So this summer, when my book Grown-up Girls came out, you would think I would be excited that I had finally reached that goal.  I was excited until I realized that women wouldn't just be reading the book and learning God's truth as they worked through its lessons; people would begin to expect things from me for which I was unprepared - like autographs and an instant off-the-cuff synopsis of the book.  I'm a writer.  I have to think about things and see them in print so they make sense in my brain before they come out of my mouth.  I probably looked like a deer in the headlights.  AH!!!!

I'm just going to be honest with you.  It kinda freaked me out!  I am naturally an introvert and my instinct is to hide away at home.  Looking back, I can see how I have intensified one of my coping behaviors to handle the uncomfortable feelings.  Sometimes, I do escape to a quiet place for a few minutes - usually a bathroom.  But, more often I just start chatting away to chase away awkward silence. 

Did you notice my absence from the blog?  Um...yeah - hiding...  I think I'm back, at least for a weekly post.

I've also encountered some spiritual warfare.  The enemy has attacked, while I'm sleeping, with my old fears, waking me in the middle of the night - reminding me of my old insecurities, telling me that I can't teach because I can't remember things.   

I'm so grateful that I can run to my Abba!  He has gently encouraged me that the message He has given me to share is not about me.  It's about how much He loves the women that will receive the message.  And He has assured me that He will use me if I'm just willing - insecurities and all.  I sure love Him!


Crockpot Oatmeal

I saw this recipe on Facebook and thought I'd give it a try since we like oatmeal.  Oatmeal is best if it soaks overnight, so this recipe seemed perfect for us.  We had it this morning and it was delicious.  It was so nice to come out to a healthy hot breakfast ready to eat.

Layer in the crockpot in order - DO NOT STIR:

2 large Granny Smith apples, sliced 
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1 tsp. cinnamon
pinch of salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
2 cups milk of choice
2 cups water

Cook overnight, 8-9 hours, on LOW

The sliced apples, syrup, cinnamon and salt:


All the ingredients in the crockpot ready to cook:


The cooked oatmeal - Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment