Friday, December 3, 2010

Everlasting Father...

And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father...  Isaiah 9:6

The last couple of days we have seen that the prophecy in Isaiah 9:6 tells us that Jesus is our Wonderful Counselor who advises us and helps us resolve issues and He is our powerful warrior.  Today, we will look at the meaning of the name, Everlasting Father.



Please know that we are only scratching the surface of what each of these names represent.  This is not meant to be an in depth study, but merely a thought provoking look at the jewels on the top of a bottomless treasure. We haven't even begun to discuss how the Father, Son and Spirit are intertwined in all of this. Whew!  Ok, let's get back to today's name for Jesus.

In the Hebrew, Everlasting means duration in the sense of perpetuity.  Jesus has always been and will always be there! The Hebrew word for Father in this passage is ab and it literally means the first man in a lineage and his relationship to those who follow.  Colossians 1:15-18 shows us how this was and is fulfilled by Jesus. 

Um, wow!  Stop and think about that for a minute!  According to Romans 8:29, God's intention for us is to be conformed so that it's obvious to others that we are His children because we resemble the first born, Jesus.  He is our big brother, so to speak, and we are to imitate Him in our daily lives.  But please understand, it's not because of a legalistic command.  It's because of our relationship with Him, our love for Him and what He has done for us and is doing in us.

I have to be honest.  It's so easy to be selfish and do what I want to do when I want to do it and spend money on what I want.  It's easy to think it's a sacrifice to put myself aside and follow God in obedience every day.  But, when I spend time with Him in His Word and talk to Him (prayer) and listen to the Spirit's leading, I can be obedient with a willing heart because of my relationship with Him and the common interests that are a result of that relationship. 

Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind let each of you regard one another as more important than himself; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others.  Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.                   Philippians 2:3-7

So, what does that look like in my life?  Well, when I am selfish, I need to humble myself and apologize to whomever my selfishness affects.  Instead of only being focused on what I think the holidays need to be like at my house for my family, I need to make sure I am meeting the needs of others, as well.  Instead of buying more Christmas decorations, even if they are on sale, I need to buy blankets or coats so some people can stay warm this winter. I need to have extra food in my pantry for struggling widows and families so they will know that Jesus loves them. 

What would our Everlasting Father, the first born of our spiritual family who is always there, have you do this Christmas?


Christmas Decorations

 Ok, this seems a little silly after what we just learned, but I have to go back to the purpose of the decorations.  I want it to be obvious to other people when they come into our home that we celebrate Christ's birth during the holidays.  I don't want it to become an excuse for materialism, though.  Hmm...









Today's Recipe - Layered Black Bean Dip
from Food & Family

8 oz cream cheese, softened
1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
10 oz can Rotel, drained
1 cup Mexican style shredded cheese

Spread cream cheese onto the bottom of a shallow bowl.  Layer with beans and Rotel; top with shredded cheese.  Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment