Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I miss my girls...

I did pretty well until the plane took off and I watched the city where my youngest daughter lives grow smaller as the airplane flew higher.  Then, suddenly, I couldn't see it any more because we were above the clouds.  Even though I knew I would see her in about seven weeks, I felt overwhelmed with sadness that I would no longer enjoy her laughter, fast talking and great hugs every day.  I couldn't keep my eyes dry even though I blinked to keep the tears from falling.  It was an intense five minute conversation with God...

I am doing so much better than I used to when I left my kids/grandkids.  (Big sigh...) It used to take me up to four hours to pull myself together.  And sometimes I would be a little bit cranky for a day or two. I guess it's better than denying how I feel, but I sure don't want my feelings to take over my heart and mind.  Nope!  God has things He wants me to be doing and I'd better be about doing them!  So, I admit to Him how much I love and miss my kids and grandkids and thank Him for the blessing that they are to me and the people around them.  Then I thank God for texting, face time and oovoo! 

Side Note:  Have you read Joel Rosenberg's weblog yet?  It's especially interesting reading in light of what's been going on in the Middle East.  And there are some videos, too!

Decorating
We have a glass back door that allows in a little too much light when someone is trying to watch TV or take a nap on the couch.  Soon after we moved here, I put a sheer curtain on the door but it didn't block much light or provide any privacy.  After looking for quite awhile for something that would be functional and inexpensive I got an idea while watching HGTV.  I purchased some home decorating fabric (thicker) on sale at JoAnn's, cut it to fit the length of the window with allowance for a rod pocket at the top and an overlap of 1/2 inch at the bottom of the window.  I simply folded the fabric in half, right sides together, and sewed the bottom and side closed.  Turning the right sides out, I ironed the curtain flat then ironed the top edges over 1/4 inch, then 1 inch and pinned it, sewed the bottom of the rod pocket, then ironed the top edge of the rod pocket.  I took two pieces of two inch wide grosgrain ribbon, sewed a piece of velcro to each end, folded them in half then hand stitched them at the top of the rod pocket - leaving half of each ribbon draped over the front with the other half draped over the back of the drape.  (Actually, the front of the ribbon is longer because I wanted the velcro ends to be connected on the back side of the curtain when rolled up.) When we want to see out the door, I simply roll up the curtain and secure it with the velcro ends on the ribbons.  If we want privacy or less light, I unhook the velcro ends on the ribbons and let the drape down to cover the window. 


Today's Recipe - Cinnamon Coffee
Taste of Texas Restaurant

Pour 10 cups of water into coffee machine.  Put 4 whole cinnamon sticks and 3 heaping teaspoons of brown sugar into the glass coffee pot.  Put 1 cup ground coffee and 1 teaspoon cinnamon into the brew basket.  Brew and stir it well.  (The longer it sits, the better it gets!)

No comments:

Post a Comment