Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Our Father who is in heaven...

I'm sure there are a lot of us who can quote the Lord's Prayer.  What's really interesting is that many of us don't know what it means beyond the English words we say.  Yesterday, we began with the setting of the prayer. 

Today, we will address who we pray to - our Father who is in heaven (God).  The Greek word in this passage is "pater" and it means father, parent, father of man by redemption.  Where does He live?  He lives in heaven - "in a physical sense, the whole expanse of the sky beneath which is the earth and all that is therein, also is used for that heaven of the residence of God."

There is one more word in verse 9 of Matthew 6 used to describe God's name.  The word is "hallowed" and I found the definition very interesting.  Hallowed (hagiazo) means, "to sanctify, to withdraw from fellowship with the world by first gaining fellowship with God."  Isn't it interesting that "hallowing" God's name is something individually personal that happens or doesn't happen depending on who we fellowship with - the world or God.  

I needed a little more information, so I looked up the definition of fellowship in my trusty Webster's Dictionary.  Here's what I found - "a community of interest, activity, feeling or experience; a company of equals or friends."  Am I fellowshipping with the world or with God?  Does my attitude towards life, towards God make His name hallowed, especially when I pray?  Very interesting and definitely something I need to put some thought into!

Decor

Note:  I've been getting nasty looks from husbands who tell me I make too much work for them and give their wives too many ideas.  Sorry, guys!  Your wives will get ideas from me or someone else, like the thousands of people on Pinterest.  My goal is to present homemaking in a balanced manner.

I need to point out that I do not have unlimited funds for these projects.  I have learned over the years to be patient and thrifty.  Since we have transitioned to Dave Ramsey's way of budgeting, I get $40 cash every pay period to use as I wish.  Many times that money is used to make or purchase special gifts for others. That puts any projects for the house or yard on hold until I have saved for them. Have I said I have learned to be patient and thrifty?!  


This blog was not meant to promote materialism or out of control spending on anyone's part.  I am a homemaker who wants everyone who comes through our door to know that this is a special home where they will feel welcome, comfortable and nurtured because we serve a living and loving God. 


Now, on to this week's project:

Unfortunately, material things do not last and well-used comforters must be replaced.  The comforter for our guest bed was pretty but was getting very snagged and worn.  I found a replacement coverlet at Tuesday Morning for $24.  Yea!!  Not bad for a queen size!  But, the bed skirt that went with the old comforter looked horrible with the new coverlet. I shopped everywhere I could think of for a new bed skirt, but couldn't find one that was long enough that wasn't part of a bedding set.  Wait! I did find one that was beautiful at a bed and bath store, but it was $400!  Um...no! 

So, I took advantage of a sale at JoAnne Fabrics and bought paisley fabric, along with a flat sheet from Walmart, to make a new bed skirt that goes with the sheets and pillow cases I already had.  I also purchased some pretty brown and cream zebra fabric and a bag of stuffing to make two accent pillows.  The pillows that were on the bed found a new home in the living room where they brighten up the couch.


Tomorrow, I will show you how I made the new bed skirt using the old bed skirt as a pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment