Monday, March 7, 2011

Celery and peanut butter...

Yum!  I just enjoyed a morning snack of good old-fashioned celery and peanut butter.  The only way I would eat celery as a kid was with peanut butter or cheese spread.  The other day I was craving something sweet so I spread peanut butter on some celery and added a drizzle of raw honey.  Delicious!  Celery is supposed to be good for inflammation.  So, if you have an autoimmune disease that involves inflammation in your body, buy some celery.  Keep a baggie of celery sticks in the frig to snack on to help lessen the pain.  I have an arthritis nodule on one of my fingers that was very painful until I started eating celery.  The nodule is still there, but I can rub it or accidentally bump it without pain.

By the way, I'm sorry I didn't post on Friday.  My honey took the day off and was home all day.  I really try to have all my "stuff" done during the week so when he is home I am available to hang out with him.

Today's information on preparedness comes from Budget101.com.  Some of you have asked, "So, if you have all that dried food stored in case of an emergency and you have to make sure you use it before it goes bad, how do you use it in recipes?"  Good question!  According to this website:

You will need to soak or cook your dried foods before using them in recipes.  Some foods require soaking and cooking.

Vegetables are usually soaked between 1/2 - 1 1/2 hours and then simmered.  Some vegetables can be re-hydrated while they are cooking.

You must remember that after a food is re-hydrated, it may spoil quickly, so use it promptly.


Apples:  Add 1 1/2 cups warm water to 1 cup apples and soak for 1/2 hour
Green Beans:  Add 2 1/4 cup boiling water to 1 cup beans and soak for 1 1/2 hours
Beets:  Add 2 3/4 cups boiling water to 1 cup beets and soak for 1 1/2 hours
Carrots:  Add 2 1/4 cups boiling water to 1 cup carrots and soak for 1 hour
Corn:  Add 2 1/4 cups boiling water to 1 cup corn and soak for 1/2 hour
Onions:  Add 2 cups boiling water to 1 cup onions and soak for 1 hour
Peaches:  Add 2 cups warm water to 1 cup peaches and soak for 1 1/4 hour
Pears:  Add 1 3/4 cup warm water to 1 cup pears and soak for 1 hour
Peas:  Add 2 1/2 cups boiling water to 1 cup potatoes and soak for 1/2 hour

Decor

Our guest bathroom has green wallpaper (not chosen by me, but ok) that has become more and more unsightly.  The seams were rolling and parts of it were coming off the wall.  It was time.  Oh, how I hate taking down wallpaper!!  This is the third bathroom from which I have removed the wallpaper.  I ruin my fingernails and the drywall dust makes me sick, but, it is way cheaper to do the work myself.  So, I just do it!  It is always worth it in the end when the project is done.  I was watching HGTV the other day and saw some beautiful wallpaper.  I almost fell for the idea of putting up wallpaper in the bathroom.  Two hours of peeling later, the idea was a bust.  I'm doing myself a favor ten years down the road by texturing and painting.  I will just have to find some fabric with a pretty pattern to make a valance and some patterned and textured towels.

I totally forgot to take a picture before I took down the old valance and started peeling wallpaper.  But here are a few before pictures:








The light fixture is the original inexpensive shiny gold fixture that was there when we bought the house.  A couple of years ago, when I redid our master bath, we took the bathroom light fixtures down and spray painted them a textured brown.  So, I won't spend any money on a new light fixture.  I really wanted to put sconces on either side of a new framed mirror, but didn't want to spend that much and didn't want my honey to have to crawl across the attic into a tight space to rewire the bathroom.  Not necessary!  So, I might eventually buy new globes.  We'll see - if I find a really good deal.  Maybe I need to go to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore and see what they have.  Hmm...





Today's Recipe - Salmon Salad
Serves 2



1 bag Veggie Lover's salad
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1 cup bite size tomatoes
2 salmon fillets, thawed
2 tsp coconut oil
black pepper
cayenne pepper
Tony's Creole seasoning
tumeric

Mix salad and spinach leaves.  Separate onto two dinner plates.  Sprinkle tomatoes over salad.

Melt coconut oil in a small skillet.  Place salmon in the skillet and sprinkle seasonings on both sides of the salmon fillets.  Cook approximately 4-5 minutes on each side over medium heat until center is no longer pink. Place one salmon fillet on top of the salad on each plate.  Enjoy with your favorite salad dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment