Monday, September 26, 2011

The Land of Israel...

Check out this website - www.landofisrael.com

There's video of a popular Israeli TV show and blogging on this site.  Their goal is to show the positive things that are happening in Israel. Very interesting!

Crafts

Remember that lamp from Pier One?


I finally got started on decorating my own lamp shade with muslin flowers.  I used a stencil to help  make the patterns for the three different sizes for the flowers.  I didn't want the petals as deep as the stencil flowers so I modified them.  I then traced the patterns on the muslin, cut them out, marked the center of each small flower, using a zig zag stitch on my sewing machine to sew the flower layers together on each center mark.




The next step was to spray the flowers, front and back, with water then squish them up in my hands and roll them like I was rolling cookie dough. The edges frayed perfectly.  I unrolled each one and flattened them somewhat, just so you can tell there are three layers.




This picture shows the difference between the flowers, before and after spraying and rolling.


Now I will let them dry overnight.  Tomorrow, I need to make a trip to Hobby Lobby to get the crystals for the centers.  Then I will glue them to the lampshade and take a picture to put on tomorrow's post.

Today's Recipe - Oven-Roasted Vegetable Combo
Eating Well for Optimum Health - Dr. Andrew Weil

4-5 cups eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch dice
2 cups yams, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch dice
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
sea salt to taste

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Toss the vegetables in the olive oil and salt.  Spread the vegetables in a single layer on a baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes, remove from oven and flip as many pieces as you can with a spatula.  Bake for another 8 minutes.  Makes 4 servings - 175 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment