Saturday, December 10, 2011

Exquisite fragrance...

Ah!  The sweet aromas of Christmas have begun pervading the air!  One of the things I looked forward to most at Christmas, other than the presents, was the goodies to eat.  Some of my favorites were the spritz cookies Mom and I and later my girls and I made.  The green almond flavored Christmas trees with frosting garland, sprinkles and a red hot top were so tasty.  And I could never pass up the cream cheese wreaths with the green frosting leaves and red hot "berries".  My mouth waters just thinking about them! 

It's really a blessing that I can't eat them any more...they are definitely not gluten free.  It saves me a lot of needless calories.  However, I can still enjoy the Million Dollar Fudge at a whopping 200 calories a square inch.  I indulge in moderation as it's becoming harder and harder to keep off extra pounds the older I get. 

Even though I can't eat the cookies any more, I can still relish the sweet smell.  It's gluten free and has zero calories! 

You may be wondering what Christmas baking has to do with grace.  Just like holiday baking leaves a sweet smell in the house, God's grace leaves an exquisite fragrance on people that is noticeable to others around them.

In the Messiah, in Christ, God leads us from place to place 
in one perpetual victory parade.
Through us, he brings knowledge of Christ.
Everywhere we go, people breathe in the exquisite fragrance.
Because of Christ, we give off a sweet scent rising to God,
which is recognized by those on the way of salvation - 
an aroma redolent with life.

This passage is from 2 Corinthians 2 as translated in The Message.  This grace from God is so amazing!  He not only blesses us with his grace, but can bless anyone we come into contact with because of the grace he has poured out on us.  That is powerful stuff!  


Christmas Decor

A couple of years ago, the garland I had put on the mantel for years started looking worn.  So the last few years, I've tried replacing it with various decor.  It just didn't look quite right.  So, this year I wanted to get it figured out and be done with it!  I like using the same decorations year after year, as long as they look good.  I really thought I would have to start from scratch, but I prayed that God would help me find items that would be on sale that would fit in with the nativity theme.  

Seriously, I pray before I shop.  I want to be a good steward of the money God has so graciously provided.  God has delivered every time!

I headed to Real Deals first because I have found some amazing things there that really were good deals.  I found this great hammered silver metal candlestick for $20 and the nativity figurine, as well.  Hmmm...I already had white candlesticks and silver stocking holders.  And since the mantel is right behind the Christmas tree it wouldn't compete with the tree if I decorated it in silver and white.   Finally, a plan!  It only took three years...lol.

My next stop was Big Lots.  I didn't find anything.  So, I went to Hobby Lobby.  There, I found the silver ball candles for the white candlesticks and a white candle for the silver candlestick.  The next thing I had to find was some kind of garland.  That took awhile to find as most of the garlands were too big or had too much going on.  I found this smaller garland way back in the corner.  It is perfect for the mantel and not too busy.  It also adds just a touch of color above the stockings.  Everything I purchased at Hobby Lobby was 50% off.  When I got home and started putting it all together, I pulled a silver candlestick and a silvery glass ornament from other places in the house to put with the white candlesticks.  Lots of circles going on give it a cohesive look.  Finally, we have mantel decor that I can use for years!




No comments:

Post a Comment