Sunday, October 10, 2010

A great day to start...

10.10.10

I tend to be a perfectionist, so beginning this blog has been put off again and again.  But, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to start posting on a beautiful fall day with such a great date - the perfect 10.  So...welcome to my kitchen! The little details on this blog page will change just as the details in my physical kitchen change when great ideas come my way.  There will also be pictures, as soon as I can figure out how to get them here.  So much to learn, so little time!
Fall has always been my favorite time of year.  I love the colors of the changing leaves, the warm golden sunshine and the crisp morning air, the cinnamon aroma of fall scents, enjoying great soup recipes and getting to wear the sweaters and jackets that have been patiently waiting in my closet. The last three years I have begun to realize that I am living in the fall season of my life and am very grateful for a God who is so gracious and patient with me as I adjust to the empty nest and learn to recognize and love the blessings He has given me during this season. God has provided my husband and me the opportunity to revitalize our relationship without the distraction of child-rearing.  It gets sweeter every day as I remember why I fell in love with this man in the first place.  And we now have grandchildren...they are my treasure and my heart is constantly overwhelmed with love for them.  I wish they lived closer...
In the meantime, I quit my part-time job at the church and am now a full-time homemaker.  My first project was turning one of the bedrooms into a craft/sewing room.  That, of course, entailed the cleaning and reorganizing of several closets before I could begin the creative stuff - painting, curtains and re-purposing items from around the house to make the room functional.  It has been great fun and is far from finished thanks to the Dave Ramsey way of financing such a project.  Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining - even though I love to get projects done, I don't like debt and that actually gives me time to scour the second hand shops in town to find unique items (like the fabulous fuchsia chair I discovered in a consignment shop) that will give the room those creative touches.  It also gives me more time to look for ideas in blog world...such great ideas and it's free to look! I can't wait to make the first craft project in my room with my girls.
Ok, I don't like reading long posts - I prefer to see pictures or recipes. So, I leave you today with this wonderful fall recipe from Colorado Colore:

Creamy Autumn Vegetable Soup
1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
6 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup butter
4 zucchini, sliced
3 medium carrots, sliced
14 oz can chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup half and half
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped  (I frequently use 1/2 tsp dried basil)

Cook onions and garlic in butter in a 4 quart saucepan over medium heat for 8 minutes or until onions are tender but not brown, stirring frequently.  Stir in the zucchini and carrots.  Add the broth and water and mix well.  Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce the heat to low.
Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.  Process the soup in batches in a food processor until slightly chunky.  Return to saucepan and stir in half and half and salt and pepper.  Cook just until heated through, stirring frequently.  Stir in the basil just before serving.  Makes 8 servings.

Yummy with fresh hot cornbread muffins!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! I quit blogging about a yr ago ... why blog when I have FB? But then, that forum is character limited! Wish we could get together for a cup of coffee! Send me your phone # & we can arrange a coffee chat over the phone ... I do that with my best friend ... she lives in Franklin, TN. What a blessing to know God's faithfulness in the lives of those we have known for so many years. He so good!

    Blessings to you, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a coffee chat! We have a lot of catching up to do...
    I have been traveling quite a bit but will get you that phone number.

    ReplyDelete