Monday, October 11, 2010

Jonah...really?!

I am part of a small group studying Priscilla Shirer's Bible study, Jonah, Navigating a Life Interrupted.  I knew when I saw the title of this study on the list offered by our women's ministry that I would be participating.  God has been taking me on a journey to understand that He has a different perspective on the "interruptions" that happen in life.  This has been a tough journey that really began with Celiac Disease and the years it took to diagnose, the realization of an empty nest three years ago, the helplessness I felt when our youngest daughter had a serious accident ten hours away, and then I was overwhelmed with the unexpected death of my wonderful dad three months later.  That was the hot water that showed me the "tea" of which my heart was made.  It was toxic.
I grew up hearing the story of Jonah and always thought, "Why was he so rebellious?  Why didn't he just do what God asked of him?"  I knew it was coming, but I still was shocked when the Spirit pointed out to me that I was not so different from that ancient prophet.  That I, too, had a rebellious heart and would willingly serve God as long as He didn't expect me to be uncomfortable in any way or let anything "bad" happen to my loved ones. Strangely enough, as soon as I understood that, I felt like the big fish of frustration and anger that I had been caught in spit me up onto dry land. It's time to move on in obedience to the works God has prepared for me.  Should be an interesting adventure!  I will keep you posted...






One of my favorite fall snack recipes -

Apricot Nut Popcorn
12 cups plain popped popcorn
1 cup raw nuts, any kind
3 tablespoons coconut oil or real butter
1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons apricot jam
Put the popcorn in a large bowl and spread the nuts over the popcorn.  Melt the oil or butter in a small saucepan, then stir in the jam and honey.  Drizzle over the popcorn/nut mix and stir carefully to coat the popcorn and nuts.  Spread on a jelly roll pan.  Bake at  300 for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice.  Let cool and break into bite-size pieces.

Decorating Idea

I love having fresh flowers in my house, but they don't fit into my budget.  So, I wandered out into my yard to see what interesting plant material could be found.  We have bushes along the back fence that send up branches of deep red leaves in the fall. I simply cut 12 - 8 inch branches and pulled the leaves off the stems below the water line.  I've had the "bouquet" on my coffee table for a week and it looks just as fresh and beautiful as when I brought it in the house.  Not bad for free!

No comments:

Post a Comment