Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Just one of those days...

I have been so thankful today and it has to do with not feeling well.  Ok, I know that sounds a little odd, but let me explain.  About four years ago, I was diagnosed with Celiac disease after several years of mysterious illnesses for which there were no explanations, which is very common for people with this disease. I had not been tested for Celiac even though it was noted in my charts that Mom had this hereditary disease.  Hmmm...
I also have Epstein Barr which causes chronic fatigue.  I never know when it will hit and wipe me out for several days.
Now for the thankful part - I am so thankful that I don't have to take medicine on a daily basis.  I could be dealing with much worse. And now that I am no longer working, if I don't feel well I can just sit in the recliner until I have enough energy to do something.  That is such a relief!  And I know what a blessing it is, as well, because there are people living with chronic illness that have to go to work to survive, even when they aren't feeling well.  My honey told me last night that I have been much more pleasant and he likes it!
I am also thankful for the First Place 4 Health Bible study that my hubby and I attended.  It got us on the right track with exercise and eating healthy balanced meals.  We both are feeling so much better and I have fewer days of illness, for which I am extremely thankful.
So, when I have one of those days when I'm not feeling well and don't have the energy to be creative, I count my blessings and tell the Lord what I am thankful for. 

We will have a conversation one of these days about the food and allergies/intolerance so many people live with.  Food does not have to be your enemy!  More to come...


Chicken Thighs With Chunky Tomato Sauce - my new favorite recipe! So yummy!
Southern Living

22 oz pkg frozen mashed potatoes (or you can make your own)
2 lb. skinned and boned chicken thighs
1 Tbsp Cavender's All Purpose Greek Seasoning
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 medium zucchini, chopped
1/2 cup diced onion
14.5 oz can fire-roasted tomatoes with garlic, undrained
2 Tbsp butter, cut up
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper

Prepare the mashed potatoes and keep warm.  Meanwhile, sprinkle chicken with Greek seasoning.  Cook chicken in hot oil in large skillet over medium-high heat 7 to 8 minutes on each side or until done.  Remove from skillet and keep warm.
Reduce heat to medium.  Add zucchini and onion to skillet, and saute 2 to 3 minutes or until tender.  Add tomatoes, and cook, stirring often, 7 to 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.  Remove from heat and stir in butter and next 3 ingredients.
Serve chicken over potatoes.  Spoon sauce over chicken and potatoes.  Serve immediately. 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment