Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Rain, rain, come and stay...

I just looked out my window as I started typing.  It's raining!!!!  Thank you, God!  The land is so thirsty - please give it a good soaking.

Rain - it's one of my favorite sounds in the world.  God first revealed himself to me in a rain storm when I was a young girl.  My room was on one of the back corners of the house and the wind would whip around and rattle my window.  For some reason, I needed to know that God was really there one stormy night.  So, I asked for something I knew rarely happened in my short experience - rain without the wind.  About 10 seconds later, the wind suddenly stopped and all I heard was refreshing raindrops pattering on my window.  I knew then and have known ever since that God is there and he cares about me.

Fun Tip

Do the tips of your fingernails get discolored?  I know mine do, especially when I'm working on craft projects or cutting up vibrantly colored vegetables.  A quick search on the Internet produced this simple recipe for a paste that is applied with a Q-tip.  (Make sure your nails are bare and free of any polish.)  Mix 1 Tbsp hydrogen peroxide and 2 1/2 Tbsp baking soda together in a small bowl to make a paste.  Using the Q-tip, push the paste up under each fingernail and over the top of each nail tip.  Let the paste soak in for 3 minutes.  Rinse with warm water.  You can repeat the treatment every 6 weeks. It really works!

Craft - Child's Painting Apron
www.sewdaily.com (free pattern for basic child's apron)

My granddaughter is turning three and we are putting together the supplies for her to become a budding artist. I bought a Rubbermaid box with a lid and filled it with all sorts of Crayola painting supplies.  Then I searched the Internet for a cute pattern for a painting apron.  My granddaughter couldn't have just a regular apron, you know!  

I found a free pattern on the above website and printed it on my computer printer.  It wasn't difficult to figure out which pieces went together, as there are only three pieces to this pattern. Because it is an apron for painting, I added a layer of thin transparent vinyl that I purchased at JoAnn Fabrics. I also added a 1" grosgrain ribbon to the waste to make the vinyl lay flat.  You will notice a circle in the picture with the pattern pieces.  It is for yo yo flowers.  I was going to put different colored yo yo flowers with button centers on the apron - it would have been so cute - but ended up leaving them off because it seemed to me they would just be paint magnets. The apron was easy to sew and turned out really cute.  Kids can put the apron on without help because the neck has elastic to go over their heads and the waist band attaches with velcro.





Note:  Because of the clear vinyl, I could not topstitch around the perimeter of the apron.  It just bunched up so I whip stitched the bottom opening by hand.

Today's Recipe - Easy Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Betty Crocker


1 box Betty Crocker Gluten Free yellow cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
sugar for dipping glass

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.  In large bowl, stir cake mix, butter, vanilla and egg with spoon until dough forms.  Shape dough by teaspoonfuls into balls.  On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls 2" apart.  Flatten with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.  Bake 9-11 minutes or until slightly golden on edges.  Cool 2 minutes, carefully remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.


 These cookies were almost as good as my mom's Christmas sugar cookies.  They taste even better with a simple glaze spread over the top or decorated with butter cream frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment