Thursday, August 18, 2011

Well, not every day...

I've discovered a new website called Pinterest.  It is an amazing source of tons of creative inspiration.  I do have to warn you, though. There is the occasional off color saying or picture that I find to be in poor taste.  But, I just scroll on by, taking in all the great ideas with a notebook at my side.  It is easy to spend hours on this site...I think I will have to set a timer or I won't get things done!

I just signed up today and my understanding is that I will be able to "pin" any ideas I like to my own web world bulletin board.  My daughters have been "pinning" and soon I will be able to see what each of them chose and the projects they would like to complete for their own homes.  I love that it is another way to stay in touch.

Today, I found this quote on Pinterest and had a hearty laugh at the reality it exposes.

"Every day I fall in love
with you more and more.
Well, not every day.
Yesterday you were
pretty annoying."

Marriage Tip #2 - Be realistic.  Don't expect your spouse to be perfect or to live up to your unspoken expectations.  There are going to be days when they are annoying.  And there will be plenty of days when you annoy them, too.  Apologize or forgive as needed!

Decor

My daughter threw a Minnie Mouse themed birthday party for her little girl.  Here are a few pictures of her fun ideas.


Menu - chocolate dipped marshmallows, Starburst candies, kettle corn and chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting and chocolate sprinkles.  She placed strawberries on the rim of each glass in which she served small ice bits with ginger ale mixed with pink lemonade.


The birthday girl wore a Minnie Mouse blouse.  Cutie patootie!


My daughter made a large flower pendant out of pink and white polka dot tissue paper to hang from the chandelier along with the black and pink streamers and used zebra print wrapping paper as table runners.  Solid pink and zebra print dessert plates and napkins were used for the snacks for the afternoon party.  I stacked the napkins - pink, zebra, pink, zebra... - and then holding the bottom two napkins in the pile, pushed down on the top napkin on the stack with my fist and twisted until I got the spiral effect I wanted.  Easy as pie!

Tip:  To save money on party goods, buy most of your paper goods in a less expensive solid color.  Buy small packages of the more expensive prints for your wow factor and intersperse with the solids.  She also bought a bottle of helium at Hobby Lobby to fill the balloons.  It was cheaper than purchasing pre-filled balloons and my son-in-law filled the balloons right before the party so they didn't have any droopy sad balloons. 



Today's Recipe - Tators with Shrooms and Peas
Taste of Home Cooking for Two

2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1" cubes
1 Tbsp butter
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup sliced baby Portobello mushrooms
1/2 cup fresh sugar snap peas

In a one quart microwave-safe dish, combine potatoes, butter, salt and pepper.  Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes.  Stir in mushrooms and peas; cover and cook 2-3 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.  Makes 2 servings

Note:  I do not like to microwave food, so I would cook this in a pan on the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment