Wednesday, January 11, 2012

A New Focus...

Middle East Alert:  The first thing I saw on the news this morning was a story about Iran's top nuclear scientist's assassination.  If you have not read Joel Rosenberg's latest novel, The Tehran Initiative, I would highly recommend it.  At the very least, get on his weblog and read about the significance of what is going on in the Middle East, especially with Iran.  

With so much going on in the Middle East, all the protests, terrorist threats and escalating natural disasters, it would be very easy to become overwhelmed and depressed.  Several years ago, I read an article about work stress and the author recommended taking a "vacation in your mind".  Basically, it entailed closing your eyes and imagining a peaceful beautiful place for 10 minutes.

Our minds are powerful and help determine our attitudes and actions.  That's why there are many passages in the Bible that talk about the importance of what we think about; what we let ourselves dream about and meditate on.  God knows life can get stressful.  He has provided a "vacation in your mind" to help us cope with what life throws us.  I love Philippians 4:8:

Finally, brethren, whatever is true,
whatever is honorable,
whatever is right,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely,
whatever is of good repute,
if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise,
let your mind dwell on these things.

I just got a brilliant idea!  I'm a visual learner and the thought came to mind that I need to put visual reminders of each of the points from this verse on my inspiration board.  I will start with "true" and dwell on what I know to be true for one week, putting reminders on my bathroom mirror and the microwave. Bible passages, quotes and pictures, anything God brings to mind, will go up on my inspiration board. Then I will focus on "whatever is honorable" the next week and so on until I get through "anything worthy of praise".  I will post a picture each week of my inspiration board.  Why don't you join me?!  What do you know to be true?  Ask God to bring those things to your mind.  It should be a great journey!


Fly Lady

Wednesdays are Anti-Procrastination Day!  Walk around your house and make a list of the projects that haven't been done.  Pick your least favorite project and get it done today!  Remember to set your timer if you need the motivation to get it done.  At least, set your timer to take a 10 minute "put your feet up" break every hour.  Don't give in to the temptation to turn on the TV or pick up a book!  If your project doesn't take long, go to the next least favorite project on your list.  Save the rest of the list for next Wednesday.

Craft

I wanted a piece of artwork in my kitchen to help me remember to have a positive attitude.  So, my honey built a canvas and my oldest daughter created this large (33 1/2"x 33 1/2") beautiful painting as a combination birthday/Christmas present.  I truly am blessed by my creative children!


Here are some close up shots of the painting.  The techniques she uses are what make her paintings so unique.





She will soon have a website and will have paintings for sale.  I will post her website address as soon as it is up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment