Thursday, January 26, 2012

A ReNewed Mind...

Do not conform to the pattern of this world,
but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.
Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - 
his good, pleasing and perfect will.

Romans 12:2

Renew, in the original Greek, in this verse means a renovation which makes a person different than in the past.  Praise God, I am different than I was in the past, but I know there is so much more renewing or renovation of my mind that needs to take place.  The only way that happens is by spending time in God's Word.  I renovate something in my mind every time I open the Book and study or meditate or pray about what I have read.

Sometimes it seems like an uphill battle when I spend time on the internet or watching TV and my Bible becomes dusty from laying unused.  I definitely need the time in the Word to see how the world's pattern has influenced my thinking.  Attending Bible study with other believers can be very eye opening.  My favorites are Precept studies and Beth Moore.

If you have been a reader of Nanna's Kitchen very long, you know I like renovation.  So let's go with that idea for a minute.  When is renovation needed?  Well, obviously, when things are no longer working, changes must be made.  Maybe an appliance no longer works or cabinet doors or drawer fronts are falling off.  Renovation is sought when a room no longer looks pleasing or becomes outdated and faded.

I strongly dislike removing wallpaper, but knew it must be done in our guest bath when it was becoming worn in places and coming off the wall in other places.  It was no longer a pleasant thing to look at.  The need for renovation overcame my distaste for the job.  I kept the finished project in mind to keep me scraping and peeling.  I knew it would be worth all the work.

This verse says renovation is needed when we have conformed to the world's pattern, when our mindset is no longer pleasing to God.  The transformation process of renewing our minds is not easy.  It takes intentional study of God's Word and a willingness to be obedient to God, regardless of the standards put forth by our world.  

Just like home renovation, we must keep our minds on the goal - knowing God's will...His good, pleasing and perfect will.  It is worth the work!

Note:  I have not forgotten about Philippians 4:8 and my inspiration board project!  Pictures are coming!  What do you know?!  That verse is all about transforming your thinking!  I just love when God puts things together!


Fly Lady

Thursday is Errand Day.  Did you know that if you run all your errands on one day, you could save money on gas?  I know that when I have a little errand to run, I think that I may as well go to several more places while I'm out...you know...just to go window shopping.  Oh dear!  Can we say temptation to want things I wouldn't have seen had I not been out and about?!  It is counterproductive!  So...running all my errands on one day is brilliant.  By the time I'm done running errands, I'm ready to go home.  Besides, it is probably time to get dinner going...

This week's habit - Make your bed!

I would encourage you to go to FlyLady.com and read the many testimonials you will find there. They are very encouraging!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment