Friday, February 3, 2012

Love is kind...

Kind in this passage (I Corinthians 13:4-8a) means to show oneself useful.  Wait, what?!  That carries the connotation of action, doing something for someone else.  I thought being kind was just being nice to someone - the opposite of being mean.  Ok, let's go to Webster's Dictionary to get a clearer picture.

Affectionate, loving, of a sympathetic nature; disposed to be helpful and solicitous, gentle, of a kind to give pleasure or relief, agreeable; showing or having a gentle considerate nature.  Interesting!  Being kind is so much more than just being nice.  Three words really stand out to me - useful, helpful and considerate. 

So, today's question becomes:  If love is kind, would my spouse, family and friends say that I am useful, helpful and considerate?  Hmm...


Fly Lady

Friday is Paper Work and Miscellaneous Day. 

Did you get dressed and make your bed first thing today?  Next week we will add another great habit so you can Finally Love Yourself!

Note:  Please realize that you can change the schedule to suit your own lifestyle.  Since it is now only my honey and myself, I do laundry on Fridays.  If you need to run your errands on Mondays, by all means change the schedule.  The point is to have a schedule.  It takes the guesswork out of housework and things get done!

To share an example:  I really thought I would get my menu done a couple of days ago.  Things have happened that have knocked me off schedule and it hasn't gotten done. Yet. 

I mentioned that I found a framework to build on.  I thought I would share it with you today along with some thoughts about healthy eating.

The calorie count goal (I know, I know...) for me is 1,350 and 1,450 for my honey.  He is an engineer and MUST have a solid plan that includes counting calories or his eating gets out of control quickly.  For me, I would be fine just eating a real serving size; not filling my cereal bowl or my plate along with that whole not eating until I'm stuffed thing which I avoid now because it is really uncomfortable.

Breakfast - 300 calories 
(my honey would get 100 more)
Snack - 100 calories
Lunch - 300 calories
Snack - 100 calories
Dinner - 450 calories
Snack - 100 calories

Now I am going to come up with a list of snacks that are 100 calories, breakfasts that are 300/400 calories, lunches that are 300 calories and dinners that are 450 calories.  Tomorrow.  I'm going to do this tomorrow...

Once I have these figured out, putting together a two week menu and a shopping list will be a breeze. 

I have learned that I can't eat as many carbs as most "balanced" diets call for.  I'm a protein gal.  I can't even handle more than 2 servings of fruit a day.  And I do best if I only have 1-2 servings of grains a day.  That leaves protein, dairy, nuts and vegetables.  Because I no longer have a gallbladder, I have trouble eating a lot of raw veggies.  Are you kidding me?!  This is way more complicated than it should be!

It comes down to listening to your body and eating a variety of real foods (eliminating as many processed foods as possible) in real serving sizes.  Need some inspiration?  Clean Eating magazine is a wonderful source of great ideas and recipes with all the nutritional info included.

I WILL finish my menu tomorrow!  It may take me all day... 

No comments:

Post a Comment