Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Pankeys...

As a camp counselor in college, I learned how to make egg-in-a-basket.  When I met my honey, I learned that his grandmother called them donkeys.  He has no idea why other than they dunked them in maple syrup.  So our girls have called them donkeys, as well.

Now, you may be wondering what in the world I'm talking about!  It's a piece of bread with a hole cut out of the middle.  You spread a thin layer of butter on both sides and put it in a skillet.  Then you break an egg in the hole and cook the whole thing.

I saw a new idea on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives.  The cook made a doughnut shape on a griddle with pancake batter, then put an egg in the middle and cooked it.  Since we always have fried eggs with our pancakes, we thought we would try it.  Oh my goodness!  Pankeys are the new breakfast thing at our house!  Yum!  And my honey's homemade buttermilk pancakes are the bomb - this just makes them even better!  Serve up with a little pure maple syrup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment