Monday, November 22, 2010

An attitude of gratitude...

It somehow seems easier to come up with something to be thankful for on Thanksgiving.  After all, that's what the holiday is for and, just in case someone asks, it's always good to have a ready answer.  But what if we had an attitude of gratitude every day and regardless of what is going on during that day, we voiced our gratitude for at least one thing every day.  Here's a good one:

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to participate in a new day.

That certainly would start your day off well, wouldn't it?! So many times I wake up and my to do list starts running through my mind.  I have to purpose to stop and spend time with the Lord and to exercise.  If I don't, I crawl into bed at night regretting that I saw those two activities as a chore on my list instead of a preference and let the unnecessary replace the necessary.  What if I saw each day as an opportunity to participate in life from God's perspective?  What amazing opportunities do I miss because I automatically get up and get started on my to do list instead of spending time in prayer, asking God what He has for me that day?  Starting the day with an attitude of gratitude and obedience to His purposes for me and my day are definitely a better choice!


Thanksgiving Decorations

I purchased a bag of faux pumpkins and squash on clearance a couple of years ago and place them in different spots around the house.  With these, I added two faux pears with leaves and some wooden acorns that I had. Quick and easy.



One of our table decorations has become a tradition with a definite purpose to promote an attitude of gratitude.  During the leanest time of the Pilgrim's first winter in Plimoth Plantation, the food was so scarce that they only allowed themselves five kernels of corn each day. So, I place five kernels of corn (candy corn, if I remember to buy it at Halloween) on each plate at the table and we take some time before we eat to reflect on at least five things for which we are thankful.


Today's Recipe - Maple Sweet Potato Cups (Southern Living)

I made these for Christmas dinner last year and liked them so much I am making them for Thanksgiving this year.  They are quick and easy and look so fancy!  It is also an easy way to help prevent gluttony - everyone gets one serving.  It's not like anyone is going to starve!! And you can make up a small casserole to set aside for leftovers.





2 - 24 oz. packages frozen steam-and-mash sweet potatoes

1/2 cup butter, cut up
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
3 tsp orange zest (opt)
1 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Steam potatoes according to package directions.  Mash together sweet potatoes and next five ingredients.  Spoon mixture into 8 (6 oz) custard cups.  Place on a baking sheet.  Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy.  Add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.  Dollop meringue over sweet potato mixture.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes or until golden brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment