Monday, November 29, 2010

Leftovers...

I love Thanksgiving leftovers!  There are so many creative tasty ways to reuse the leftover food - green chile turkey soup, hot turkey sandwiches, spinach raspberry salad with turkey, turkey stir fry, turkey tetrazzini, turkey tortilla soup, omelets with turkey, cranberry chutney, potato cakes (if you have mashed potatoes left)... If you aren't able to come up with ideas on your own, you can always google "recipes for Thanksgiving leftovers" and get more ideas than you will probably ever use.

I love that God can take the "leftovers" of our lives and make something fabulous out of them.  Satan likes to make us think when we've gone through something difficult, that God is done with us.  He puts nagging little thoughts in our minds of guilt and unworthiness.  But, our God is the God of redemption!  He takes what is left and uses it for His glory.  I am amazed and humbled every time He forgives me, comforts me, then uses me to minister to others. He is the King of leftovers!


Decorating for Christmas


We generally decorate for Christmas the weekend after Thanksgiving.  Honestly, I didn't enjoy it as much as I have in the past.  It's just not as much fun without the kids.  I had to pray about my attitude!  But, as I got the boxes out and started pulling out my collection of nativity sets, I began to get excited about our home being a place where the story of Jesus' birth is so evident this time of year.  Jesus was not born on December 25, the day we celebrate His coming, but was probably born sometime in September.  More on that to come...

Unfortunately, our outdoor lighted nativity has lost so much of its paint that the baby looks like he has third degree burns where I have tried to touch it up.  Maybe my honey and I can put our heads together and come up with a replacement. 

This week's decorating pictures will be shots of some of my nativity collection.  I need to get a plastic set to put on the fireplace hearth that the grandkids can play with when they are here...


I love this plate!  It is always the first nativity item that I put out each year.  The looks on the faces tell a story:  Mary is overwhelmed with love and exhaustion, Joseph is looking towards heaven with worry creases in his forehead,  the oldest shepherd is in awe, the young shepherd has his hands raised in praise and the child shepherd is simply smiling and enjoying the wonder of the baby boy and what is happening around him. Baby Jesus looks right at whomever is looking at the plate!  Hmm...


The small white nativity item is an ornament with the hanger removed.  Between the two are several silk poinsettias.  I purchased several "bushes" of poinsettias over twenty years ago and cut them apart with wire cutters.  I used to put them in the Christmas tree near the trunk to cover up wires and add color.  But, I bought a wide transparent garland last year.  So, now the poinsettias get spread around the house for little touches of Christmas everywhere.


Today's Recipe - Pasta with Broccoli (Dr. Andrew Weil)

With all the rich foods that are consumed this time of year, it's important to eat healthy whenever you can.  This is one of my favorite pasta recipes and it's spicy enough for my husband.  You can add some of your leftover turkey, if you desire.

1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets
1 pound dried pasta (twists, penne, or rigatoni)
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
salt to taste
2 tablespoons capers
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Heat a large pot of water to cook the pasta.  Add the pasta to boiling water.  While the pasta cooks heat the olive oil in a small pan and add the garlic, red pepper, and salt to taste.  Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, then remove from heat. 
When the pasta is 2 minutes short of being al dente, add the broccoli.  As soon as the broccoli is crunchy-tender, drain the broccoli-pasta mixture in a colander, return it to the pot and add the oil mixture.  Add the capers and season with salt to taste.  Serve with the grated Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment