Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanks to God...

Thanks, O God, for bound-less mercy from Thy gracious throne above;
Thanks for every need provided from the fullness of Thy love!
Thanks for daily toil and labor and for rest when shadows fall;
Thanks for love of friend and neighbor and Thy goodness unto all!


Thanks for thorns as well as roses, thanks for weakness and for health;
Thanks for clouds as well as sunshine, thanks for poverty and wealth!
Thanks for pain as well as pleasure, all thou sendest day by day;
And Thy Word, our dearest treasure, shedding light upon our way.


Thanks, O God, for home and fireside, where we share our daily bread;
Thanks for hours of sweet communion, when by Thee our souls are fed!
Thanks for grace in time of sorrow and for joy and peace in Thee;
Thanks for hope today, tomorrow, and for all eternity!

August Storm and John Hultman


This old hymn is a wonderful reminder of looking at life from God's perspective.  I don't know about you, but I need that reminder.  I have been sorely tempted the last couple of days to feel sorry for myself and my honey.  None of our children are going to be able to come home for Thanksgiving.  I have to keep reminding myself that we will get to spend two weeks with our oldest daughter and grandson and we will see everyone for two days at Christmas.  Two days...(sigh) 

I am thankful for oovoo and iphone face time and that we can see family through video conference. I am thankful that they are all serving the Lord and they all live within a ten hour drive. They could be serving overseas.  They could be living for themselves.

I am thankful that we will spend Thanksgiving will some of our spiritual kids and grandkids.  They are precious to us and we will have a wonderful time of fellowship with them.  I am thankful for Romans 8:28:
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose.

I am thankful that God is at work for our good, especially in the difficult things of life.  They are not without purpose!  He's not being mean, He's using everything that comes about in life for good.  If we look back over our lives and really think honestly about the hard times, we can see the hand of God working and molding us.  His purpose is to make us more usable in His kingdom. I am happiest and most at peace when I live my life trusting in His purpose, whether I understand or not. 

Today, I choose to give thanks to God!





Today's Recipe - Pumpkin Waffles (cooks.com)

In large bowl mix:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tsp cinnamon

In small bowl mix:
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup canned pumpkin

Add small bowl mixture to large bowl.  Stir just until moistened.  Heat waffle iron, brush lightly with oil. Pour batter in hot waffle iron.  Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Makes 5 round waffles.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving! I will be back on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment