Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A great treasure...

I rejoice in your word like one who finds a great treasure.
Psalm 119:162

According to Webster, a treasure is wealth of any kind or in any form stored up or hoarded, a store of money in reserve, something of great worth or value, a collection of precious things, also a person esteemed as rare or precious. I often refer to my grandchildren as Nanna's treasure.  They are precious to me and I am well aware of the power of my influence on them, which can be for godliness or for selfishness. 

As Nanna, I have a different perspective and find myself chuckling, sometimes laughing out loud, when my grandchildren's sin natures show themselves.  When my daughters were young and would be naughty, I often took it as a personal failure instead of realizing that it is all part of the training process described in Proverbs 22:6, Train a child in the way he should go...  It is so much easier as a grandmother!  I can just love them and encourage their parents in the training process. They have the responsibility of caring for a great treasure.

God's Word is my greatest treasure.  It is truly a living book which convicts, comforts, informs and instructs me.  When I don't spend daily time reading and studying my Bible, there is an unrest in my spirit.  It's like having a huge chest filled with all sorts of treasure sitting in my living room and I walk by, ignoring the beautiful things that can be found there. Other pleasant activities fill my time but don't satisfy that longing to spend time with my Father; making wonderful discoveries as a result of digging into the great treasure found only in His Word. 

Throughout December, each day we will look at a different name for Jesus found in Scripture.  I look forward to the study time that will be required to make sure that what I write is true to God's Word.  I hope what is written here will be of great encouragement those who read - a great treasure revealed.  I'm so excited!


Christmas Decorations

This is another of my favorite Nativity items.  Most of them have been found at Hobby Lobby at 50% off or at Cracker Barrel, where they are inexpensive as well. 


Today's Recipe - Yummy and Healthy Slaw
This slaw is healthy and colorful.

2 large carrots, shredded
2 medium apples, shredded
2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dried cranberries
Raspberry vinaigrette

Using a food processor or a grater, shred the carrots and apples.  Place in a bowl.  Slice the spinach leaves in thin ribbons by stacking them on a cutting board and slicing them with a sharp knife.  Place in the bowl with the carrots, apples and cranberries.  Mix well.  Just before serving, pour some raspberry vinaigrette over the slaw and toss. 
This slaw is delicious with grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment