Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Will I play my part with grace and joy...

Here is an interesting quote from Susan Hunt I ran across in a book I was reading.  I hope it will inspire you.
"History is the story of redemption.  This story is much bigger than I.  I am not the main character in the drama of redemption.  I am not the point.  But by God's grace I am a part of it.  My subplot is integral to the whole.  It is far more significant to have a small part in this story than to star in my own puny production.  This is a cosmic story that will run throughout eternity.  Will I play my part with grace and joy, or will I go for the short-run, insignificant story that really has no point?" 

Tonight, God provided an opportunity to play my part with grace and joy by playing hymns for my aunt on her piano. At first I hesitated when she asked me to play because she has always been such a gifted pianist and still is, even though Alzheimer's is causing her repertoire to become much smaller.   But I conceded and she loved every song I played, telling me it was alright when I hit wrong notes.  She made me laugh, she was so enthusiastic.  My uncle gave me the biggest hug!  Playing my part with grace and joy...


Today's Recipe - Sweet Polenta Pie (from How It All Vegan!)
This is a good recipe to try if you have ever wanted to experiment with a vegetarian recipe.  It is so tasty!

Roasted Veggie Topping:
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 small zucchini, chopped
4 mushrooms, quartered
1 small green pepper, sliced
1 small red pepper, sliced
1 small red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 leaves fresh basil, finely chopped
4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  In a large bowl, combine the vegetables.  Drizzle with a touch of oil and mix well.  Lay them out on a cookie sheet or lasagna pan and roast them in the oven for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are browned.  When done, place 1/2 a cup of the roasted vegetables into a blender or food processor and blend with the water, tomato paste, vinegar, maple syrup, oil, basil, and tomatoes.  Transfer this sauce and the remaining roasted vegetables to a medium saucepan and cook on medium-high heat for 10 minutes.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Simmer on low heat.

Pie Crust for Sweet Polenta Pie:
1 cup coarse cornmeal
3 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper

In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal with 1 cup of cold water, then set aside.  In a medium pot, bring the remaining 2 1/2 cups of water to a boil.  Once boiling, add the cornmeal mixture to the water and turn the heat down to medium-low.  Add the oil, salt, and pepper.  Continuously stir the mixture for about 10-15 minutes, until the mixture sticks together and becomes very stiff.  Pour into a lightly oiled pie shell or a casserole dish.  Let set for 5-10 minutes.  Pour veggie topping into pie crust.  Cut into slices.  Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment