Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I sing of circles...

It never ceases to amaze me when I discover how people's lives are connected in overlapping circles; when I find something in common with a random person that I meet.  Circles are everywhere; in nature, in our relationships, in our homes.  Look around your home today and see how many circles there are.  It will probably surprise you!  Enjoy this poem from Luci Shaw titled, Circles:

I sing of circles, rounded things,
            apples and wreaths and wedding rings,
        and domes and spheres,
                           and falling tears,
               well-rounded meals,
                                 water wheels,
                 bottoms of bells
                   or walled-in wells;
            rain dropping, golden in the air
                                   or silver on your shining hair;
              pebbles in pewter-colored ponds
                   making circles, rounds on rounds;
        the curve of a repeating rhyme;
                   the circle of the face of time.
    Beyond these circles I can see
                           the circle of eternity.

Does passing of each season fair
                 make of the four a noble square?
          No.  For to each the others lend
             a cyclic, curving, rhythmic blend
      Remember, spring in summer gone
           comes round again.  New spring comes on.

                     The circle in the eagle's eye
            mirrors the circle of the sky,
      the blue horizon, end to end,
                                end to end,
                        over earth's never-ending bend.

The arc of love from God to men
               orbiting, goes to him again.
         My love, to loving God above,
                captures me in the round of love.


Today's Craft Project - My mother-in-law's amazing lamp makeover

My mother-in-law is a very busy woman.  She watches one of her granddaughters during the day, taking her to her different activities.  She also goes to dance recitals, ballgames, horse shows and school programs that her other grandchildren participate in.  Then there are her personal activities - bookkeeping, Bible study, etc.  Yes, she is busy!  So, when my husband told her what I had done for my mom in her home office, she quickly offered her own home office for a makeover.  My middle daughter and I had about six hours to do the makeover.  It still needs painted and some finishing touches, but she loved what we were able to get done.  And we spent about $60 for curtains and sheers, spray paint and scrapbook paper.
When I mentioned to my daughter that I planned on using the lamp that was on her desk, she looked skeptical.  Well, it used to be a fashionable lamp...  I had a few tricks up my sleeve, however, and one of them was using an eggplant colored lampshade we found in the basement.  Glossy white spray paint would finish it off.  And it gave us a jumping off point for our purple and green color scheme - both colors my mother-in-law likes.  When the lamp was finished, I brought it into the office and placed it on the desk.  My daughter couldn't believe how fabulous it looked - for the price of a can of spray paint!  She looked at me and said, "You know...there is another lamp like this in the basement..."

Before:

After:

Isn't it pretty?!  Now we need to get some new curtain rods, paint for the walls, a few accessories, fabric for the bulletin board and a fabulous reading chair to replace the dining chair we borrowed from the basement.


Today's Recipe - Italian Vegetable Soup 
Country magazine

1 pound ground beef
1 dup diced onion
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup sliced carrots
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can (16 oz) tomatoes
1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans, undrained
1 cup water
1 can (14.5 oz) beef broth
1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon sweet basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 cup frozen or fresh green beans, cut in 1-inch pieces (optional)
1/2 cup small elbow macaroni
shredded Parmesan cheese

Brown beef in large heavy kettle; drain.  Add all the ingredients except cabbage, green beans and macaroni.  Bring to boil.  Lower heat; cover and simmer 20 minutes.  Add cabbage, green beans and macaroni; bring to boil and simmer until vegetables are tender.  If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth.  Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese before serving.  Yield: 12 servings / 152 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment