Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hmm...


This blog so far has focused on spiritual issues, family and homemaking.  I must admit that I am most comfortable writing about these things because they are my priorities and take up most of my thoughts and energy. I do know, however, that it is SO easy for these to get out of balance.  Decorating can become an idol if I let it be my focus and ignore other things or relationships.  Hmm...

It is also easy for me to focus on these three topics and to ignore what is going on in our nation and our world.  You could call it Ostrich Syndrome...really just a name for irresponsibility as a Christian citizen. I would much rather think about pretty things, my wonderful family and what I learn when I open my Bible and study.  However, it's the Bible study that kinda throws a kink in things - especially when it comes to the study of prophecy and the parallels with what is happening in our world.  Hmm...

As Christians with the written Word of God, we have an advantage in that we can be aware of what is coming.  We can interpret what is going on in Washington, our country and world, based on Scripture, and be prepared.  Obviously, we need to rely on the Holy Spirit to lead us into truth with wisdom.  We don't need to be afraid because God is very much in control!  Check out Joel Rosenberg's Weblog.  Hmm...

For example:  If there was to be an electrical brownout in your area, a natural disaster or a terrorist attack, would you have the supplies on hand to survive?  Did you know that most grocery stores only have a three day supply of products? What if your water supply was compromised? What would your family need to survive?  Have you thought about it? Chances are if you live in hurricane country, this is just an accepted fact of life. I was reminded of all of this again this morning. As much as I love spending extra money on decorations or gifts for others, I need to spend that money on stocking some survival items.  Hmm...

I recently went to pick up my husband at a major airport and wasn't allowed to wait at passenger pickup.  A police officer graciously informed me that waiting wasn't allowed because the threat level was very high across the country.  They didn't want vehicles sitting any where there would be a lot of people. The possibility is there and it is wise to be prepared.  Hmm...

One of my favorite subjects to teach in school was history.  Amazingly, history has repeated itself over and over because leaders and citizens do not study history and do not recognize the things that lead to the demise of a country.  Do you know why the news people keep talking about inflation and the national debt?  Because it is a big deal!  It is a sign of serious trouble for our country.  Do you know what happens to a country that prints paper money without the gold reserves to back it up?  Do you know that America is not mentioned as a world power in Biblical prophecy?  Be informed and be prepared.  Hmm...

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests  be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  Philippians 4:6-7

I love that that verse is followed by this verse:

Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things.

Thanksgiving Decorations
Let's think about something lovely while we enjoy the peace of God!

I love the plate that my youngest daughter gave me for my birthday a few years ago.  I grew up singing the hymn, but have become aware of how important it is to name every one of my blessings.  The plate sits on the mantle year round as a reminder to count my blessings.  The glass and metal container was purchased using a printable 40% off coupon on Hobby Lobby's website.  I used some of the pieces of that fall leaf bush that is spread around the house and some jeweled faux pumpkins that were 80% off to fill the container.  I will change out the contents for each season.  Simple and lovely!

Today's Recipe - Skillet Cauliflower (Relish magazine)
I'm not a big fan of cauliflower, but this recipe is delicious and easy!


1 cauliflower head, outer leaves and stalk removed and cut into chunks (about 3 cups)
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp coarse salt (I used coarse sea salt)

The recipe says to boil the cauliflower, but I steamed the cauliflower until it was tender, about 15-18 minutes.  Drain well.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add butter.  When sizzling, add drained cauliflower.  Saute until slightly golden, about 10 minutes.
Sprinkle coarse salt on cauliflower before serving.  Serves 3 / 130 calories per serving
Note: It would be pretty to add some diced pimentos and dried parsley to the cauliflower before serving for some color.

No comments:

Post a Comment