Wednesday, May 9, 2012

In the garden...

One of my favorite hymns since I was a little girl is "In the Garden".

I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses.
And the voice I hear, falling on my ear; the Son of God discloses.
 And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
And He tells me I am His own, 
And the joy we share as we tarry there,
None other has ever known.

Maybe this song is why I have always loved gardens.  I equate them with God's presence; that, and the fact that I grew up with beautiful flower gardens.  Mom's gardens aren't as big as they once were, but her yard is still pretty with different kinds of flowers and greenery.  

I love to have pretty gardens in my yard, as well, although, I don't really care for planting.  So I have decided to buy more perennials each year, even though they are more expensive.  In a couple of years, I will only have to buy annuals for pots and the rest of my gardens will come back every year. 

Here's a peek at the gardens:






Our "adopted" son gave me the concrete bunny.  It's so cute in the garden.  You will notice other bunnies scattered in the gardens, as well.  I've always like rabbits and these rabbits don't eat the flowers!  I also have several container gardens:





When my granddaughter was here, we bought her a pair of gardening gloves and a little garden tool so she could help me plant some flowers.  She also helped me water in the mornings and learned the names of the different plants as we watered.  She's a good little worker and a joy to have in the garden.


My honey and I have been working on cleaning out the vegetable garden.  Bermuda grass has taken over because we haven't planted anything for a couple of years due to my lack of energy and the drought.  But there is nothing like a home grown tomato!  So this year we are going to plant.  It's tedious work ridding the dirt of the grass, but we have purchased some fabulous black garden dirt from a local provider and I will begin the planting process today, starting with three blueberry bushes. 

I think we need to have some strawberries and zucchini and tomatoes and summer squash and peppers...yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment