Friday, May 25, 2012

Dallas...

Nanna's Kitchen has been quiet this week because I was with my honey in Dallas at a wire convention.  I had no idea making wire is so complicated!  How in the world did people come up with the ideas to be able to take a rock with minerals and end up with wire that makes our modern lifestyle possible.  Wow!

I spent most of the time in the very nice room at the new Omni Hotel.  Of course, I took pictures!  I did go through the exhibit hall with my honey and attended a session on Washington politics and what is coming that will affect the wire industry.  It was very interesting!

Generally, when we go out of town, it is difficult to find gluten free food that is worth eating. So I was pleasantly surprised to discover a wonderful gluten free menu at the restaurant in the hotel.  And the food was nutritious and delicious!  They even had gluten free bread with its own toaster and butter on a baker's rack on the opposite side of the buffet from the regular breads.  And yes, I took pictures of dinner and lunch with my phone!

The hotel was downtown where there were all kinds of interesting things to take pictures of like the Gap billboard promoting their new t-shirts by actually displaying real t-shirts on the advertisement.

The Hotel Room

I took pictures of the hall (unusual carpet) and room, including how they made the bed to use for reference for our guest room.







 
Yes, that is a TV in the bathroom mirror! 


The view from our room:



The restaurant we enjoyed is Texas Spice.  We ate dinner on the patio and the weather was perfect.  The food was amazing and creative.  The appetizer was served on a board with a piece of butcher paper and included crackers, honey with pieces of honeycomb, mashed cherries in stone ground mustard, bread & butter pickles, sliced chorizo sausage and aged cheddar cheese.  Everything was made there or purchased from a local source.  It was an unusual appetizer but really tasty.



I had delicious shrimp and grits with asparagus and chorizo for dinner.  It tasted like the grits were in a cheese custard.  Yum!



One of the things I particularly enjoyed was how they served things on and in unusual containers.  The water was served in this chilled lidded jar. And the yummy pecan pudding was served in a small lidded jar.



My delicious gluten free pizza lunch:


We also like to check out local Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives when we take trips.  Not far from the hotel was Twisted Root Burger Co.  It was a fun place to eat and the buffalo burgers and fries that we had were delicious.  They had signs like, "Your mamma doesn't work here. Clean up after yourself!"



Downtown Dallas:






No comments:

Post a Comment