Friday, May 11, 2012

A lovely rainy day...

We don't get many rainy days, so I am loving the drizzle this morning and appreciate God watering my gardens.  I plan on doing laundry and ironing while I watch movies that would put my honey to sleep...such a lovely day!

I cleaned out my recipe box and found a recipe for Jerk Chicken that I have had for a while but had never tried.  So I decided to test it out for dinner before I threw the recipe away.  I'm glad I did - it is spicy-sweet deliciousness!  My honey said that it's a keeper.  I hope you will enjoy it, too.



Jerk Chicken with Pineapple Cilantro Rice
(I can't remember which magazine this recipe came from...)
Serves 6

2 tsp coarse salt
1 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red-pepper flakes
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 cup light-brown sugar, packed
3 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, split (or 12 chicken thighs - 2 per serving / my taste preference)
2 cups uncooked basmati rice
1 pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped (or Gourmet Garden Cilantro Herb Blend - see picture below)
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/4" dice
1 1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 lime, cut into wedges, for garnish

1.  In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, thyme, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder, paprika, cloves, nutmeg, allspice, and light-brown sugar.  Set spice mixture aside.

2.  Place chicken breasts between layers of plastic wrap. Pound chicken to a 1/2" thickness. Transfer to a glass baking dish. (You can skip this with the thighs.)  With the spice mixture, rub the chicken pieces on both sides.  Cover with plastic wrap; chill 30 minutes.  (I found the flavor was better when it was chilled overnight.)

3.  Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil.  Stir in the rice and reduce to a simmer.  Cook until rice is tender but still firm, 10 to 12 minutes.  Drain; rinse with cool water.  transfer to a bowl, and stir in the pineapple, cilantro, bell pepper and olive oil.  Season with remaining 1/2 tsp black pepper.  Cover and chill.  (You can also use Minute Rice - follow the directions on the box.  I added the veggies and oil to brown Minute Rice as it cooked and served it hot with the chicken.)



4.  Heat a grill or heavy grill pan over medium-high heat.  Cook the chicken until it is browned on both sides and cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. (You can also cook it in a non-stick skillet.)


Serve with the pineapple rice and lime wedges. (Peas go really well with this recipe.)

301 calories per serving

No comments:

Post a Comment