Friday, August 24, 2012

Broken coffee pot...

I put water in my coffee pot and coffee and cinnamon in the filter then turned it on.  Nothing.  I turned it off and back on...several times.  Still nothing.  Hmmm...

Guess who made a Walmart run at six o'clock this morning to buy a new coffee pot?  Yep, that would be me.  I had no makeup on (a real stretch for me normally, but evidently not early in the morning with the prospect of no coffee to start the day) but I did comb my hair and I was dressed in workout clothes, not my jammies. 

When I got home, I cleaned the carafe, washed out the coffee pot and got a pot brewing so my honey would have some coffee for the drive to work.  He put it in perspective - "If that's the worse thing that happens today, you're good!" 

Thank you, Lord, for the job You've provided so we would have the money to go buy a new coffee pot when we needed one. 


Apartment "Wallpaper"

After we got my daughter's bedroom and living room rearranged and decorated, I insisted that we go to Lowe's and buy plants and garden supplies for her front porch garden area.  It was a strip of uneven concrete with a smaller strip of dirt surrounded by a wooden fence.  Last year for her birthday we found two patio chairs, a small table and some lanterns, all on sale. It looked better, but it just needed some living things. 

We started by cleaning all the surfaces - the window, the storm door, the wooden door, the side of the condo, and the patio.  Then my daughter added the garden soil to the dirt strip and planted the shade plants we purchased.  The final touches were some outdoor pillows on the chairs, solar garden lights and a repurposed turquoise metal cross on the fence. We also brought out a light green metal plant stand and put a potted plant on it.  (It's hiding behind the pole under the cross.)  So much better!  Now she has a welcoming front porch to come home to and for her friends to enjoy when they come over.


The last bit of decorating we did was in her dining room.  The back wall is the first wall you see when you walk in her door and she wanted it to "pop".  Thanks to Pinterest we got a great idea for adding some horizontal stripes.  We also found a large round mirror in need of some tender loving care and painted it in her signature turquoise color. 



To make the stripes we bought 4 yards of dark tan muslin ($14) and liquid starch (the only place we could find it was at Walmart). We cut the muslin in long 8" wide strips.  Then, using a foam roller, rolled the starch on the wall on the stripes we had marked, using a level, beforehand in pencil.  Then we pressed the muslin strips onto the starch.  After that was done, we rolled more starch on top of the muslin and on the wall in between the stripes.  We let it dry and she cut the extra fabric at the corners using a box cutter. 




 Because of the texture on her wall, we ended up with lots of little bubbles.  She had to reapply starch and use a scraper to get rid of the bubbles.  The wall definitely "pops" now.  When she moves, the strips will come right off without damaging the wall.



No comments:

Post a Comment