Monday, August 27, 2012

Starting school...

Our oldest "adopted" granddaughter started Pre-K today.  Boy, these kiddos are growing up quickly!  Her mom and I are working on decorating her big girl bedroom.  She has a lavender comforter and white tab top curtains.  So I suggested we meet at JoAnn's and look at fabric to find our inspiration for the theme of the room.

We thought we were going with a garden cottage theme, but we just did not find fabric that went with that theme.  So, we looked for fabric that had lavender in it.  When we found this "Market Stalls" fabric, our minds went crazy with great ideas for decorating Harmony's room.


Because of the lines of circles, I suggested that we pull the tabs at the top of the curtains over the curtains and secure them with large buttons in the different colors of the circles on the inspiration fabric.  That would cover the gap from the top of the curtains and the top of the window and would also make the curtains end at the window sill.  Some lavender extra large rick rack near the bottom of each curtain panel would finish the curtains. 

A pendant banner with Harmony's name on it was the next project.  I raided my scrapbook and ribbon stash and made the banner to match the one on the fabric.


Using my paper cutter, I cut large diamond shapes out of 12"x12" paper, folded it in half making each triangle pendant. I used large white letter stickers to put her name on the pendants.  Each pendant was positioned on the ribbon, using tape to space them, then I glued both sides of each triangle together with glue.








We are also going to make a clothesline art display for her room and she can change out the artwork when she wants.  Still thinking through how that needs to be made.

Every little girl's room needs a cute lamp.  I look for simple inexpensive lamps and decorate them.  I found this lamp on clearance at Target and made fabric flowers from fabric I had to decorate the shade.  Cute!






I glued clear and pink buttons in the middle of the flowers, then glued them on the lampshade about a third of the way up from the bottom of the shade.  And, I forgot to take a picture before I took it to her house.  I'll have to get a picture when I take her pillows over.  Pictures coming...


No comments:

Post a Comment