Thursday, August 16, 2012

The Christian Athiest...

I recently read a really good, really convicting book called The Christian Athiest by Oklahoma pastor Craig Groeschel.


Craig uses many stories from his own life to illustrate his journey from being a new Christian living a secular college lifestyle to a pastor who realizes that many times we don't live like we really believe that God exists and that He even cares how we live.  This is a humble transparent pastor and I appreciate his honesty and his determination to live the kind of life that brings glory to God.

It is also a story of how he has come to believe in the power of grace and God's love in peoples' lives; including those of us who claim to be Christians.  The chapters are not long, but are packed with Biblical truth to free readers from lies amidst life's struggles. 

For example, the chapter that confirms God's love for people brings to light the fact that although many Christians teach others that God loves them, they have doubts about God's love for them personally. It's really hard to love other people if you are not sure that God loves you because you feel guilty about something.  Do you know what I'm talking about? 

And the chapter on forgiveness - that one got me the second time through.  It is such a relief to have that taken care of and no longer a burden I carry on tired shoulders.  These are just two examples of many things I learned from The Christian Atheist.

This book has a powerful and timely message.  I highly recommend it.  But don't read it unless you are prepared to be freed to live what you say you believe!

I'm reading it a second time...it's that good.  And then, I'm going to get several of his other books like Soul Detox and It.  I wonder what I'll learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment