Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Fireworks in a jar...

Even though my grands are two and four, I thought it would be fun to do some simple science experiments with them.  Pinterest is a great source for ideas and I pulled several I thought that would be entertaining.  They loved the experiments and my four year old granddaughter requested that we do more.  I love her curiosity!

The first experiment we tried was Fireworks in a Jar.  All you need is a Pyrex measuring cup, a large clear flower vase filled with water, 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used olive oil) and drops of food coloring (we used three colors).

We poured the oil into the measuring cup, added 3-5 drops of each color of food coloring then let the four year old stir until the colors were little droplets in the oil.  Then I quickly poured the colored oil into the water and watched with the kids as the color droplets began "exploding" into upside down "fireworks".  Of course, once a teacher - always a teacher.  I asked my granddaughter what she thought was going to happen before I poured the oil into the water.  We also talked about color combinations made from primary colors.

The kids loved it.  When we repeated the experiment, all the adults came to watch, as well.  I'd say the experiment was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment