Friday, January 7, 2011

The benefits of suffering...

Ok, that's a strange title for a post!  At least that is what I used to think.  When I look back over my life, it's easy to see that I grew the most during the difficult times.  Mary Yerkes says there are five things that suffering does for us:

1.  Suffering produces intimacy with God
I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry.  He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand.  He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God.  Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord.  Psalm 40:1-3

2. Suffering equips us to comfort others.
Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.  2 Corinthians 1:3-4

3.  Suffering refines us.
See, I have refined you, though not as silver; I have tested you in the furnace of affliction.  Isaiah 48:10

4.  Suffering produces growth and maturity.
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-3

5.  Suffering conforms us into Jesus' image.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.  For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.  Romans 8:28-29

Paul Jackson, a Tucson pastor, watched as his wife suffered with breast cancer before she passed away.  He comments, "If we are willing to sit still and let God work, we will find ourselves being transformed into the image of Jesus.  Through this horrendous experience, God did incredible things.  Her mother accepted Jesus Christ as Savior...God also changed those who cared for her.  Our lives were enriched by suffering.  Simply put, when we seek God through His Word and prayer, we find Jesus.  Remember, Jesus understands our pain because He, too, suffered."

Our suffering can be a testimony to God's glory.  We can be honest and say, "I don't like it.  I don't get it.  But, you have a purpose in this suffering and I am going to trust you, Lord." 


Decorating

I wasn't sure what I was going to put in the tall apothecary jar on the mantle when I emptied it of the Christmas ornaments.  I really didn't want to spend any money so I looked around the house and found nothing that would work.  Hmmm...

Then, my honey and I were walking at a nearby park and discovered these fabulous seed pods that had fallen from some of the trees.  Free decorations!  I may spray them with a glossy clear acrylic to preserve them.







Today's Recipe - Cheeseburger Soup
Cuisine at Home - Slow Cooker Menus

4 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 lb. ground beef sirloin
1 cup diced onion
3/4 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrot
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups peeled and diced russet potatoes
2 cups sharp shredded Cheddar cheese
salt and black pepper
ketchup
prepared yellow mustard
chopped dill pickles


Melt butter in a saute pan over medium heat.  Add sirloin, cook until meat begins to brown.  Stir in onion, celery, carrot, garlic, and basil; cook 5 minutes.
Add flour, stirring to coat meat; cook 1 minute.  Stir in milk until mixture is smooth.  Bring mixture to a boil; cook 2 minutes.  Transfer soup to a 3-4 quart slow cooker.  
Stir in broth and potatoes.  Cover soup, cook until potatoes are tender, on low-heat setting for 3-4 hours.
Add Cheddar just before serving, stirring until cheese melts.  Season soup with salt and pepper; garnish each serving with ketchup, mustard, and pickles.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment