Friday, January 21, 2011

Probably not what you think it is...

The fifth stage of grief is acceptance and it probably is not what you think it is.  Acceptance is not just putting up with the situation.  It is looking for the good that can come of it and realizing your personal growth because of the situation and your journey of grief.  It is also recognizing that it is possible to slip back into any one of the stages of grief, but you now have hope that you won't stay there.

All of us have had seasons when we feel we just can't keep going; we just can't take any more.  As with every other area of deception, the key to defeating this lie is to counter it with the Truth.

Whatever your story, whatever you situation, right now, His grace is sufficient for you.  His divine resources are available to meet your need - no matter how great.  That's the Truth.  And the Truth will set you free.                             
Nancy DeMoss - Lies Women Believe

It's also important to forgive people who fail you.  Mark Gungor, pastor and speaker, says, Unforgiveness is like taking poison hoping the other person will die.  Forgiving doesn't mean forgetting, but it does mean that you choose to not let it ruin your life.  It means having a survivor attitude instead of a victim attitude. Nancy DeMoss writes, By convincing us that our suffering is undeserved or unnecessary, the Enemy succeeds in getting us to resent and resist the will and purposes of God.

I am still determined to be cheerful and happy in whatever situation I may be; for I have also learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery depends on our dispositions and not on our circumstances.  We carry the seeds of the one or the other about with us in our minds, wherever we go.            
Martha Washington

Mary Yerkes, who suffers from Rheumatoid arthritis, wrote, "Now ten years later (after the diagnosis), I've gained perspective.  Yes, my life is more difficult than I could have ever imagined, but it is also far richer than I could have ever dreamed.  Early in this journey of learning to live with a chronic illness, I took comfort in Isaiah 61:3:  To console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.  NKJV

Be patient with yourself on your journey.  Take care of yourself with nutritious food, exercise and good sleep.  Journal your feelings or find someone with whom you can talk.  Grief is a journey, but you can come out a better and stronger person, used of God because of grief.  I will close out this week with these verses:

Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I keep Your word.  It is good for me that I was afflicted, that I may learn Your statutes.   Psalm 119:67, 71

But I do not consider my life of any account as dear to myself, in order that I may finish my course, and the ministry which I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify solemnly of the gospel of the grace of God.   Acts 20:24

I urge you therefore, brothers (and sisters), by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship.  And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.    Romans 12:1-2

Consider it all joy, my brothers (and sisters), when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.  
James 1:2-4

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort; who comforts us in all our affliction so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.   2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Crafts

These are two more pages in my mom's grief journal.






We expect people to cry when they are grieving, but it is OK and even healing for them to laugh, as well.  Yes, that is a comic strip at the top of the left page.  I've always loved comic strips and cut out and collect the ones that I find especially fitting and have sent them to my family and friends.  I was that teacher that laminated comic strips and put them all over my classroom door and included them in my lessons.  It's important to laugh!  It's a great stress reliever and burns lots of calories, too!

Today's Recipe - Tortilla Soup
Creating Empty Bottle Moments - Clive Berkman

3 Tbsp olive oil
2 corn tortillas, chopped
1 Tbsp corn oil
1 Tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 medium onions, finely chopped or pureed
2 chipotle peppers, finely chopped 
2 medium tomatoes, pureed
8 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 Tbsp tomato paste
3 cloves garlic, chopped
4 Tbsp cilantro, chopped
2 bay leaves
2 qts. chicken broth

Garnishes
4 corn tortillas, cut in 1/2 inch strips and fried in corn oil
8 oz. chicken breast, grilled or poached in broth and sliced into 1/4" strips
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
1 medium avocado in small cubes
Sour cream

Heat the oil in a soup pot.  When it's medium hot, add the chopped tortillas, garlic, chili powder and cumin;  cook for 2 minutes, stirring to prevent burning.
Add onions, peppers, tomatoes, tomato paste, bay leaf, and cilantro; bring it to a boil.  Cook over medium heat, stirring until it boils.  Adjust the seasoning. 
Add the broth, reduce the heat, and simmer for 20-30 minutes.  Add extra broth if the mixture becomes too thick.
At this point, you can strain the mixture or you can serve it chunky without straining it.  Serve in bowls  Add garnish on top or allow your guests to choose their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment