Tuesday, January 11, 2011

They are lies...

To console those who mourn in Zion, to give them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they may be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.             Isaiah 61:3

I LOVE this verse because I have experienced the Lord pouring out His oil of joy in my life and clothing me with a garment of praise when I really thought those things were permanently gone from my life.  For too long, I fell prey to and believed lies that kept me from joy and praise.  If you do not suffer from depression or chronic illness, this list of lies might seem bizarre to you.  If you do, I'm sure you will be able to relate.  Here's my list of the top ten lies Satan told me while living with illness and depression and some of the Scripture God used to set me free:

1.  God can't use you to help others.  You don't have the physical stamina.  You have nothing to offer.
And He has said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness."  Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, that the power of Christ may dwell in me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

2.  You're going to die soon...perhaps right now!
...and in Thy book they were all written, the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them.  Psalm 139:16  
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.  Ephesians 2:10

3.  Focus on your pain and any strange sensation that makes you feel like you could pass out or die. Be afraid...be very afraid!
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind.  2 Timothy 1:7
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil; for Thou are with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

4.  This is not fair!  This is proof God doesn't love you!
Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God, that He  may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety upon Him, because He cares for you.  I Peter 5:6-7

5.  You are worthless. Look at all the time and money you spend at doctor's offices and the hospital.
For Thou didst form my inward parts; Thou didst weave me in my mother's womb.  I will give thanks to Thee, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; wonderful are Thy works, and my soul knows it very well.  Psalm 139:13-14

6.  No one cares about what you deal with on a daily basis.  You are all by yourself...alone.  Darwinism is true - it's all about survival of the fittest.
...I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you.  Hebrews 13:5

7  This is all God's fault.  He could have kept you from getting sick.
And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.  Romans 8:28

8.  You are a burden to your family and friends.
Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7

9.  Jesus doesn't care about sick people and has no clue how you feel. 
Jesus wept.  John 11:35
Jesus had compassion on them... Matthew 20:34
My (Jesus') soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death...Mark 14:34

10.  Look at how much of your life has been a waste.
 And as He passed by, He saw a man blind from birth.  And His disciples asked Him, saying, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he should be born blind?"  Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was in order that the works of God might be displayed in him.  John 9:1-3

Note:  I am not a professional counselor or doctor.  I am writing from my own experience and from what I have learned from talking to others who live with depression or chronic illness.

I am tempted to become angry when I think of all the years I spent believing these lies.  The truth is that I did believe those lies for a long time and God has miraculously freed me from every one of them so that I can live with joy and am able to praise Him with a glad heart!  Has He freed me from celiac disease or Epstein-Barr?  (I have asked and pleaded...)  Nope!  Has He helped me learn how to live victoriously in spite of disease?  Yep!  Have I been used by God to bring hope and encouragement to others because I understand?  It's very humbling to know that God has used me...

One of the things that I have learned is that the lies cause us to grieve the life we are living and the life we could have had.  Tomorrow we will talk about the five stages of grieving

Decor

Our guest room has a large window that lets in lots of light - ok during the day, but not so much at night when the street light shines in through tree branches...tossed around by the wind...


We could have just bit the bullet and spent the big bucks to get plantation shutters made, but after a lot of time was spent searching for an inexpensive solution, I finally figured it out.  My honey cut a piece of 1/4" MDF to fit over the window, then attached it to a 1x4 to make it free-standing.  I painted and stenciled the window cover and it works perfectly.  Doesn't look too bad, either! It actually makes the room look bigger - go figure.


Now I need to paint a faux plantation shutter on the other side of the cover so it will look better from outside and put grommets in the curtains to make them easier to open and close...

Today's Recipe - Smoked Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Cuisine At Home - Slow Cooker Menus

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 smoked turkey leg, meat removed and shredded (2 cups)
1 cup diced onion
1 cup dry wild rice
1/2 cup each diced carrot and celery
1/4 cup dry sherry (you can probably substitute red wine vinegar or cooking sherry)
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tsp dried thyme 
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sliced scallions
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
Toasted slivered almonds


Combine broth, turkey, onion, wild rice, carrot, celery, sherry, flour, and thyme in a 3-4 qt. slow cooker.  Cover; cook until rice is tender, on low-heat setting for 4-5 hours.
Stir in milk and scallions just before serving; heat through, about 5 minutes.  Season soup with salt and pepper; garnish each serving with almonds.  Makes 6 servings
 

No comments:

Post a Comment