Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Meet suffering as a friend...

        If I had a formula for bypassing trouble, I wouldn't pass it around.  I wouldn't            be doing anyone a favor. Trouble creates a capacity to handle it...Meet it as            a friend, for you'll see a lot of it and you had better be on speaking terms with          it.                                                 Oliver Wendell Holmes

I sincerely hope yesterday's post didn't bum anyone out, because there is hope.  There is another perspective on suffering that makes it possible to, Consider it pure joy, my brothers (and sisters), whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance (James 1:2-3a).  We will get to that tomorrow!

Most people with depression or chronic illness may look normal and other people can't tell they are suffering.  Because of that, loneliness is a common experience for them.  If you are one of those people, the following statistics may help you realize that you are not alone in your suffering.  If you know one of those people, talk to them about their perceived limitations and frustrations. Then figure out one thing that you can do to encourage them.  A lot of times, just having someone listen and validating your feelings helps tremendously.

FOX News reported:
50% of Americans suffer pain
39% pain interrupted their sleep
43% pain affected their mood
11% have very little control over their pain
33% use over-the-counter drugs daily

I was blown away when I first saw these statistics!  I had gotten so focused on my own suffering that I didn't realize there were so many hurting people around me.  Lord, open our eyes to see them, to hug them, to pray for them, to let them know they are not alone, to help them laugh with joy again.

Tomorrow:  What was Jesus' response to suffering?


Craft - Ladies' Night Out Basket

This fall, we were sitting at my mother-in-law's table visiting when she, a widow, told us that she and some of her friends, also widows, miss going out to a nice dinner.  It's just not in their budget.  Well, that got me to thinking and I talked to my husband and called our kids to pass the idea by them.  They all enthusiastically agreed that a Ladies' Night Out Basket would be our family project gift this Christmas.  So, with their input, a movie to watch on my mother-in-law's new TV, Thomas Kincade coffee mugs for each lady, several bags of goodies to enjoy during the movie and a gift card to Mimi's Cafe were all put into a leather basket with fun tissue paper.  The ladies loved the gift and couldn't believe that we put together a gift just for their enjoyment.  Hee hee!  I love it!

I did a rough put-together of my winter tablescape for the dining room.  It doesn't look quite right, yet.  I may tweak it some...









My honey is going to drill holes in the tops of the aspen logs for votive candles.  A touch of the Rocky Mountains on our table!  The aspen log candle holders go so well with the pine cone candles I found at World Market 50% off.


Today's Recipe - Tortilla Soup w/ Zucchini
My regular tortilla soup just isn't filling enough, so I decided to add zucchini to it.  My husband loved it and didn't feel like he needed as many chips to fill up.



8 oz cooked turkey, shredded or cubed
1 medium zucchini, cut into small cubes
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
10 oz can original Rotel
28 oz can diced tomatoes
14.5 can chicken broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp Tony's Creole Seasoning
1/2 tsp cumin
2 dashes Tabasco sauce

Mix ingredients together in a large saucepan and bring to a boil.  Turn heat down and simmer until vegetables are soft.  Serve over tortilla chips.  Makes 4 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment