Monday, January 10, 2011

My encounter with depression...

It's seems like I just woke up depressed one morning, but I'm sure it was a slow slide into that awful summer.  I had noticed that I just didn't find enjoyment in the people and things that normally brought me pleasure.  But the dark cloud seemed to descend on me overnight.  My physical symptoms - traveling pain, joint pain, headaches, inability to sleep or focus, digestive issues, a wacko thyroid and overwhelming fatigue - did continue to worsen until I finally sought help from doctors.  They ran lots of tests and ruled out many illnesses, but still no answers to why I felt so bad.  I was treated for anxiety with an anti-depressant which helped me function.  Towards the end of the summer, a nurse put me on a very strict diet of fruit, vegetables and lean meat with supplements and I felt amazingly better after a couple of weeks.  I was able to quit taking the medication after two months.

I know, now, that all of this was caused by undiagnosed celiac disease.  In fact, if I inadvertently eat some gluten or too much sugar, I will wake up the next morning with depression symptoms which usually take a few days to go away.  I know that there are many more causes of depression, but I have discovered that there are some things that we all can do to feel better.  I have learned not to freak out if I feel depressed, but to reason out the cause with God's help and know that it will subside and I will feel better.

He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them.  Psalm 145:19

This week we will be talking about depression and what I have found that helps tremendously. 

Decor

I went with one of my young friends to Good Will to find some lamps for her living room.  She had seen my daughter's lamps and loved them.  We purchased these "beauties" for $16.





With the help of some spray paint and new drum shades from Lowe's, they ended up looking like this -


They are fabulous in her living room!  So much fun!!

Today's Recipe - Chicken Chili Verde
Cuisine at Home - Slow Cooker Menus

(Bone-in chicken breasts add extra flavor and have less tendency to overcook than boneless breasts.)
3 poblano chile peppers
1 1/2 lbs. tomatillos, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, loosely packed, divided
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp sugar
1 lb bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed, chicken seasoned with kosher salt and black pepper
1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
crumbled queso fresco cheese

Roast poblanos over a gas burner (or under a broiler) until blackened.  Transfer poblanos to a bowl; cover with plastic wrap. When poblanos are cool enough to handle, remove skin and seeds.  Chop poblanos.
Layer poblanos, tomatillos, onion, 1/2 cup cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt, and sugar in a 4-6 qt slow cooker.  Place chicken on top, meaty side down; add broth.  Cover; cook until chicken is tender, on low-heat setting for 4-5 hours. 
Remove chicken from slow cooker; allow it to cool slightly.  Shred meat, discarding bones.  Add chicken, lime juice, and remaining 1/2 cup cilantro to the slow cooker.  Turn slow cooker to high-heat setting; cook 10 minutes.  Serve chili with crumbled cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment