Monday, January 24, 2011

Suffering seems so unnecessary...

Probably the most important thing I have learned about suffering is that God has a different perspective on it than I do.  Ok, that seems like a no-brainer, but I had a difficult time getting over a sense of unfairness and it was because I was only looking at suffering from my perspective. 

As a parent, there were times when I made my children do things they didn't want to do or wouldn't let my children do what they wanted to do because I knew it was dangerous or could be harmful to them.  Of course, that didn't stop them from pitching a fit because they thought I wasn't being fair.  Oh, boy!  I realized I had exhibited the same attitude towards God.  My sense of unfairness came out of a lack of trust in His love for me.  I didn't recognize God's love in my suffering because it didn't meet my expectations of how I wanted His love to be expressed to me. 

Suffering is truly an expression of God's love for me and you.  Of course, sometimes we suffer because God is disciplining us.  But, this week we are going to look at three other reasons why we suffer.  Today's reason:  to strengthen your faith.

Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.  And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.    James 1:2-4

But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.  Job 23:10

Therefore having been justified, by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have obtained our introduction by faith into this grace in which we stand; and we exult in hope of the glory of God.  And not only this, but we also exult in our tribulations, knowing that tribulation brings about perseverance; and perseverance, proven character; and proven character, hope; and hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out within our hearts through the Holy Spirit who was given to us.      Romans 5:1-5

Pain is inevitable, but misery is optional.  We cannot avoid pain, but we can avoid joy.
Tim Hansel

Here's an interesting and convicting quote from George Bernard Shaw:
This is true joy in life, the being used up for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

As painful as the process may be, that which shatters our superficiality also shatters the fetters of our fragility and frees us to walk with dignity and might to our destinies.
Beth Moore

Do you ever feel like you still have so much to learn?  I'm with you there!

Crafts

I made this frame with a favorite Beth Moore quote for a friend's birthday.  I purchased a wooden frame at JoAnne Fabrics, painted it, then using Mod Podge, decoupaged some scrapbook paper onto the frame and some chipboard hearts that had been painted.  I also bought a wooden initial, painted it and then applied glitter glue over the dried paint.  I put it all together with my glue gun and printed the quote to put in the frame.  A fun glitzy reminder of God's love!






Today's Recipe -  Coconut Milk Soup
The Great Physician's Rx for Health & Wellness - Jordan Rubin

1 1/2 qts. fish or chicken stock
1 1/2 cups whole coconut milk
1 lb fish or chicken, cut into small cubes
3 jalapeno chiles, diced, or 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper, dried
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 Tbsp fish sauce (opt)
2-4 Tbsp lime juice
chopped cilantro for garnish

Simmer all ingredients until meat is cooked through.  Garnish with cilantro. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment